Bryant - chicago, Illinois

“This I believe”

Imagine a seventeen year old girl who grew up in a bad neighborhood, and found out she was pregnant. When she found out she was afraid of the consequences she would have to face, and the hardest part was telling her parents. How would they react to the situation? She had choices to make either to keep the baby or get an abortion. She chose to keep it.

This person is my mother. This situation is something that I learned from and I think other teens can learn from. This is why I believe we can learn from our parent’s mistakes.

I believe the choices one makes can either have a positive or a negative effect on your future. Why did my mother choose to accept the responsibility of raising a child, knowing the consequences she would later face? This pregnancy had a major downfall of the lives of both my parents. My mother did the positive thing by keeping me, yet still ended up with a negetive effect toward her future. She had to discontinue her education, and never had the opportunity to walk across the stage with her graduationg class. Her struggle had began as she had to work part time, while my father was going to college part time had to also maintain an occupation in order to support a child . Though they were both young they still had the determination to support each other through tough times.

Though I am in a long term relationship,I chose to learn from my parents mistakes. I want to have the opportunity to further my education beyond high school, and I also have dreams of playing professional basketball like my father had, until I came in the world. I don’t believe that I was a mistake and I’m quite sure that my parents do not think that either, having a child can be the beginning of a relationship and blessing that will last beyond the boundaries of this present life. In fact I believe no child is a mistake but a blessing, Yet i believe that there is no rush in having a child. Finish your education, get a degree, and reach your goals, because in order to survive and raise a child and family you need to become somthing. Aside what i believe, I am not here to discuss about rights and wrongs or judge anyone for that manner, but just to help make a change in lives of young men and woman which continue to make this one mistake, not knowing what their future awaits. I choose to continue my life the right way and become a role model to many who look up to me. For I believe a child can not take care of a child. This I believe