Angela - Erie, Pennsylvania

I believe in the power of imagination. With a vivid imagination, I can travel to worlds I will never see, but will always know. I can speak with people who I have never met. I believe that it is this creativity that allows pages to turn, clocks to tick, and art to inspire. Imagination is the power born in children, hides in teenagers, and dies in adults. It makes me sad when peers lose the ability to create their own images and force themselves to live in a concrete world.

I believe in the adults that obtain an imagination that lives, in the teens brave enough to let their ideas be known, and the children whose never ending imagination leads them through the day. It is these people who I believe in. In the one teenager who submits the poem hoping to be known, in the grown adults writing books about magic and love.

I hope that my imagination holds strong into my elder years. When I turn eighty, I pray that Disney World will have the same magic, that Cinderella’s slipper still fits, that Ariel can always swim in Atlantis, and that a princess will always find her prince. Without these acts of great imagination, I would not be who I am today.

Without the ideas of famous authors, my world would be a black and white picture of boredom. I would have nothing to live for. My imagination is my one quality, my one object, that I could not live without. Removing imagination is the source of love, friendship, humor and life. It is the root of fun, success, and dreams.

Imagination makes a piece of junk into a masterpiece, fabric into clothes, lyrics into songs, and dreams into realities. It allows us to believe in what we are told is wrong. It is what tells us we can when the world says we can’t. It is the driving force behind our world.

I believe in the ideas of artists, inspiring others to think outside of the box. They motivate others to draw, to write, or to dance. I believe in the people whose imagination is lost, but then sparked by that one artist’s paintings, songs, or books. This I believe in the rebirth of creativity.

I must always have faith in the power of my imagination and the imaginations of others. Maybe one day, my success or art will allow another’s imagination to jump-start. Or maybe, I will be that poor soul whose life has turned gray. Maybe I will listen to a song or read a book and be flooded with a world of color, a world of life, a world of imagination. This I believe in the power of imagination.