Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Sonya - Woodward, Iowa
Themes: humanism

Have you ever just sat back and watched people? See what a person completely entails? By the way a person holds them self; the way they dress, smile, eat or walk. Or even deeper, the way they look at another individual when they communicate, or the way they ponder about personal or political issues.

Normally, one would call this staring or gawking. I call it gazing into the intriguing beauty of a person whom I have never met, but, someday would like to meet. A person is unique in their own exceptional way. Not one individual is alike; this is what I am told. But as I gaze around, I notice more similarities among individuals than there are differences. I notice the way a gentleman holds the door open for a lady with a “Thank you” following. I notice the way a person reads a good book, not looking up as I walk by. They are intrigued by what may happen next, just like the future of their own personal life.

I am sure most of you, in your life, have experienced some type of gazing. You, as well, are seeing into the image of another individual, to see the attributes and qualities of that person. They say, “It’s not what is on the outside, but is what is on the inside that counts.” To an extent, I believe this to be true. However, not only is it about the inside. The characteristics of an individual are that of this very nature. The culture, beliefs, and morals; they all play a role in the make-up of how each portray the individualism from the outside, to know one another from a deeper level.

Everywhere I go, I see different people with so many essential and useful backgrounds. When my boyfriend is with me, he continuously tells me to stop staring; that it is rude. I do not believe it is rude or offensive. I am simply noticing the beauty of my surroundings and different aspects of creation among this universe. I have yet to explain to him the reason behind this gazing adventure, but maybe today is the day.

I guide you to truly think about the perceptions of the individual identity. Look to see the similarities and differences among each individual and relate them to yourself and who others are surrounding you. Remember, it is not staring; it is simply gazing at a work of art put on this planet to be observed.

I am going to leave this with a helpful tip: If you see another looking at you the way you have once looked at another, smile. Do not look away. Let them know they are unique and special in their own way, and they are appreciated for everything they are; for, I believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder.