Monica - Chicago, Illinois

I believe God saved me so I can save others

I believe that I am blessed by an Almighty God. There is no doubt that the reason I am alive and well today is all because of god. Psalm 139:13 “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.”

December twenty-first nineteen eighty eight, before sending my mother into the delivery room, they gave her one last ultrasound to make sure all was well. That’s when they saw the umbilical cord wrapped around my tiny neck, choking me to death. They rushed her into the emergency room for a cesarean. I believe I could have died if they waited any longer, but God kept me alive for a reason. I’m not really sure what the reason is, but it could have to do with my strong desire of wanting to help others in need.

I try to take advantage of every opportunity that is given to me, to get me closer to my dreams. I am currently enrolled in a program that will give me a better chance to get recruited as a police officer; I want to do all I can to make this city a better place to live in. I’m taking a very challenging new class, so by the end of this year I will graduate as a certified EMT. Taking up EMT was never part of my plan, but I’m willing to do all I can to get the money and education I need to one day open a home for homeless people and get youth off the streets. I don’t just want a shelter to feed them, but to bring in computers and many different resources to help them get out of the mess their in. I want to provide nice warm clothes, daily showers and most importantly I want to help them dream again and go after their goals, everyone deserves a second chance at life; I got mines and I want to be the one to help them get theirs.

Psalm 139:16 “All my days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” At the age of three years old, I remember driving my brother and his friends to the Grey Hound; it was dark and fogy out. Driving past Cook County Hospital, a lady came out of nowhere and rammed my mother from behind and forced our car into a pole. Everyone rushed out the car, because they though it was going to blow. Checking to see if everyone was okay, they put me down to walk and I fell, my body crumbled down like a rag doll. My mother picked me up to my feet and let go, down I went again. Good thing we were right in front of the hospital, it turned out that I fractured my pelvis bone and that’s why I wasn’t able to stand. The doctors told my parents I wasn’t going to be able to walk for a really long time. But my mother puts her faith and trust in only one doctor and he is the doctor of all doctors. She prayed and prayed and three day after being released from the hospital, I was healed; I was up and ridding my bike as if nothing ever happened.

Maybe God needs my walking ability to help change the world. With all that I’m trying to accomplish, I speak to other youth and challenge them to do something good for themselves and their future. Sometimes we need to see the good that another young person does, to inspire and give us hope to try to do it too. Many young people and even adults are amazed with all that I am trying to do, they questioned me all the time; How do you balance school, the academy and work all at the same time? Most adult say, “Wow I wish I had your mentality when I was your age.” I don’t want the others my age to look back and say, “Man I wish someone would have told me how important my high school decisions were” or “I wish I had your mentality, set goals for myself and join programs to help reach my goals.” I try to talk to as many young people as I can about my goals and dreams of helping others and I encourage them to join programs and take course that are going to help them realize their purpose-and together we can make a difference in out community.