carlye - syracuse, New York
Themes: purpose

My personal credo is something that helps me through the tough times, something I remind myself of when things don’t necessarily go my way. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. Now this is not some highly spiritual or religious belief that god has a set plan for all of us, it is simply something I have found to be true for me. Reminding myself that everything happens for a reason helps me to get through the obstacles that we all face. This ranges from everyday mishaps to life changing catastrophes. Unfortunately, many times a lesson can be learned only after a tragedy. September 11th proved to do just that. It took a disaster to unite our country, judging by the increase in sales of American flags, and even the small town vigils across the country. While I was only a young eight grader then, I was confused seeing my family members upset and I didn’t realize the extent of the misfortune until later on in my maturity. However, reminding me that everything happens for a reason and that something positive will come out of this helped me to deal with the calamity, and gave me hope for other hurdles later in my life. Senior year of high school, a teammate and friend of mine killed both herself and her sister in a drunken driving accident. After the Murphy Sisters Foundation was established in remembrance of the sisters, many promotional events on driving and drinking flooded my school. If you were to ask any member of my 2006 graduating class if they drink or drive, you would get a strong “NO, Never” unanimous answer whereas before the accident, the answer may not have been so uniform. Again, a very ill-fated way to learn a lesson but in a way my friend Shauna serves as a reason why I do not drink and drive. One more personal event occurred at the end of my senior year when I met and started dating this guy. My two best friends did not get along with him and paired with going to separate schools, we lost touch. It had an enormous impact on me; however I am still dating the same guy and became close with many others of my high school friends. All of these experiences give me faith when things are not going my way that everything happens for a reason even if I am unaware of the reason at that time. This I believe.