Jessica - Chicago, Illinois

This I believe

As a high school senior, I consider myself a highly determined student. I’ve aimed my studies to the highest levels possible, including advanced placement and honors classes. I’ve encountered countless times when I like withdrawing from my studies considering the challenges I was facing, but never once did I let these feelings take over my future. What I thought was going to be a piece of cake was actually a needle in a hay stack. It was the beginning of junior year; this is when you get your chance to start over fresh and forget all about last year’s drama. I wanted to my best this year; after all it’s the most important.

I had everything up to date and on time. Algebra Trig was my favorite. I actually liked this math class because I understood it, which is pretty rare for me. I realized though that I wasn’t as social as I was before. I was felt like I was on the verge of losing all my good friends. I began hanging out and going out every weekend with my friends. I was forgetting homework, missing school and losing some friends over other issues. I then realized when I got my fabulous F on my report card that I learned something. Getting an F was my fault and I had no one else to blame because there was no one else. I learned that I had to work my way back up Mr.Sommer’s good side and my friends weren’t the ones who were going to help me and do more than just my regular assignments to pass his class. This class became a big struggle for me; I was falling behind, confused and frustrated. I had fallen right to the bottom and I knew my path to the top was a long way from here. I felt like I had failed as a student and failed my future.

I believe in failure. I believe to make it to the top you need to fall to the bottom first. I believe the challenges you are given in life can only show how much strength and strive you have to succeed. I believe that life is an obstacle course and like Elvis Presley said in one of his songs “only the strong survive” or like Charles Darwin quoted “Survival of the fittest”. I believe that due to failures in our lives we have given up, when all we needed to do was try harder.

I remember being seven years old when half my house caught fire. Not only did we lose our house but, we didn’t have money to find a new one. It was a difficult time for me and my family considering there were five people left without a home. I felt that we as a family have failed. We hit rock bottom. We had nothing. We were failures. Working together with my family that year showed me that when times get hard, it’s not the end of the world, it’s just the beginning to us stronger people.

I want to show my family that I have learned from my mistakes and I can make great future from it all because my future isn’t only ideal to me , it also means the world to my family too. My family had taught me to learn and accept my past; considering its the only tool you have to learn from in life. Learning from your mistakes is Knowledge, but knowing how to use it is Power, and making sure that power is secure is Success.