Rachel - Bellwood, Illinois
Themes: hope, work

Growing up nobody believed in me, but my sister Regina. Everybody always thought I wasn’t going to make it. They thought my head was in the clouds and my heart wasn’t into achieving my goals. Through all the negativity around me, Regina was my voice of reason. She was always in my ear saying “Don’t do it to prove to them you can do it. Do it for yourself.” Her words and everyone’s doubt was my fuel to make it to where I am today. She believed in me when nobody else did.

Those who see how far I have come, want to take back all of their comments and doubts. I just give them the “whatever” look and say “Admit it, you thought I was going to fail.” I know they did even my parents thought I was just going to give up and dropout by my sophomore year. Regina was always the one person to tell me “I can do it” or “I can make it, just focus.” Especially when I was in eighth grade, I was in danger of not graduating she believed in me and told me not to quit. I have determination. What most people don’t have and I won’t quit no matter how hard something might be. I believe quitting will set you up for failure.

Once I set my mind on something I will stop at nothing to achieve it. I want to get far in life and I am not going to let anybody doubt me or tell me I’m not going to become the architect I want to become. I believe determination will get you far in life if you apply it to something you really want. Thanks to my sister for being my voice of reason without her I wouldn’t believe in myself today. I believe in myself.