Thornton - Syracuse, New York

I believe that high grades are not the most important aspect of scholarly life. While grades do certainly play an important role in being able to quantify work, I believe that getting A’s instead of B’s is not nearly as important as pursuing interests and becoming a more well-rounded person.

During my high school career it’s safe to say that I did just enough to get by, while never really stressing out about grades at all. I finished with a 2.8 cumulative GPA. This was clearly not enough to get me into what, at the time, I thought was my dream school of Notre Dame, but it was enough to get me into Syracuse University and as a result introduce me to my major of Sport Management, which I can honestly say I love; something I’ve never been able to say about school before.

I still feel this way and because of this newfound love, I know that there is no need to stress over things I care little about. I know that if I care about a subject, if I’m interested in it, I will probably do well. If not, I’ll do poorly and I’m ok with this. I know many people who do not share this belief and will all but kill themselves in order to get an A.

My sister is one such person, she will pour hours upon hours of work into something that she really has no interest in. It’s not fun for her, and all it does is make her feel worse in the event that she does not get an A. To me this seems counterintuitive, why not go out, relax, have a good time, rather than stress out about a grade for something that, at the end of the day you’ll end up forgetting in less than a month?

I’m not saying that I don’t put any effort into things that don’t interest me, just that I will only overwork myself if I truly care about it. And interestingly enough, that’s when I can say I legitimately learn something, and oftentimes it will result in a high grade. This is what I believe.