robyn - dix hills ny, New York

I believe in the power of listening.

When I eight years old, a bad recesses incident has inadvertently lead me into absolute hysteria. uncontrollable tears and an over whelming sense of anger filled me as i cried in a tantrum so great its seemed I’d never be happy again. Completely inconsolable, I scurried across the playground and into the school building- still sobbing I collided right into the my second grade teacher Miss Sabotino.

She look down in shock and quickly bend down to ask me why I was crying, Wiping my eyes I attempted to control my sobs in to coherent words, I managed my way into explaining that because I couldn’t run fast it took me longer to get to the playground and Alanna Walker told me that because I got there last that I would have to be the green power ranger, and I didn’t want to be the green power ranger because everyone know that’s a boy! I wanted to be the pink power ranger, or at least the yellow one ! And just because Alana walker and Tracy Bernstein got there before me they had picked who they wanted to be. And it was especially not fair because they got to be the pink and yellow power rangers yesterday and it was clearly my turn!

Struggling between tears and snuffles I processed explain how I felt left out, what really was making me upset was I was worried that they didn’t like me. Miss Sabatino didn’t say a word she simply looked into my eyes and gave me a hung. Even then I could tell that she understood how I felt -and at that moment that all my eight year old heart needed, someone to understand. I remember instantly feeling better, clam and satisfied. Letting out how I felt in words was much more satisfying then letting it out in tears, An although nothing had changed, I felt such a sense of relief by expressing myself to another human being.

And although this was just a silly little thing, I remember it well and thirteen years later it is still a philosophy I live by. I’ve had friends and loved ones deal with many things, fights, breakups, divorce and even death and I still believe that listening is better then any advice you could give, and more comforting then any other form of expression.