Isabel - Cleveland, Ohio

Those “I showed you so!” Moments

I believe that mom’s and dad’s may not always tell us they love us, rather they would show us in more subtle ways. In 1973, I saw a total eclipse of the sun for the first time. My dad made a point in telling us (all six of us) “Better get out there, this is probably the only time during your lifetime you will see this!” We marched outside to the front lawn, wanting to know what all the fuss was. Daddy took the time to show all of us how to put the pinhole through the paper plate so we could witness this historic event. He just never told us why we were doing so. I could not for the life of me (me being twelve or thirteen and all) understand what the big fuss was all about. Then it happened, and that moment was captured forever in my memory.

Sometimes dads don’t say much…they just do things to protect you (translation: love you) and you really never know why…my dad never gave me an answer to something I could look up myself in some book…

As I look back upon my childhood I see a lot more “I showed you so” moments I know love was there somewhere, sometimes I really had to look for it – for example, we (I will not disclose my accomplices) use to place various objects in the toilet to see if they floated or not. Having the plumber(my father a jack of all trades) pull from the pipes a ball, a pen or one of his tee shirts was an “I showed you so” moment. And when we were sent to our rooms early, with no supper, we knew what time it was.

When the next eclipse came around ( a smaller, less significant one) I was in my thirties and when everyone at my job started moving to the door to watch it in the parking lot, I didn’t forget what my father had taught me. I noticed some employees did not carry their plate and I was able to remind those who didn’t carry one they should have one. You could see the quizzical look on their faces. After a brief explanation, a small smile of thanks would erupt from their faces. As if a gardener had sprinkled much needed water on the morning violets who in turn blessed his day with their brilliant color. My way of expressing love and sharing I showed you so moments are all that my father ever really needed to teach any of us. And so my children will know their grandfather not with speeches that include “I told you so,” but through that oh so gentle way…mixing in a pinhole and paper plate, with no words, just actions. This I believe.