Alex - Grand Rapids, Michigan
Themes: change

I stood outside in the thirty degree weather staring at the door handle. Its shiny brass exterior looked so promising, but I was still so hesitant. Contemplating what I should do, I stood there staring at the door. It was a white door with a beautiful window pane and a shiny brass door handle. Finally, I decided to open the door. I stretched out my hand, grabbed the handle, and opened the door. The meeting had already starting and I was clearly about to interrupt it with my appearance. As I walked in the door, a woman was in the front speaking to a group of 70 people sprawled around the room. I quickly looked for some people I knew and dodged the glares as I took my seat. “Our Lady of Consolation will be hosting this mission trip to New Orleans, Louisiana this year July sixth through the sixteenth.” As I listened to her talk about the hundreds of lives we would be helping within those ten days, my tension eased. On that cold winter day, I decided I was going to venture into a new world with people I didn’t know to help many innocent victims that were hurt by Hurricane Katrina.

As he tried to chase me down the hall, I darted into my room slamming the door shut and locking it. I sat on my bed staring at the door he was now pounding on so furiously. Never have I ever been so angry in my entire life. I hated him for being so spiteful; he had it coming. I watched my silvery, circular door handle being jerked side to side. I watched my wooden door being bent inward every time a slam from his fist hit it. I have never felt so much fury, he deserved it.

Passing through doors has become a pecuniary abstraction from our daily lives. All throughout our lives we are walking through their frames, grabbing their handles, opening them, closing them. How often do we take them time to realize the significance of the doors we are strolling through? Doors will open for us allowing us to meet new people and make new experiences even when hesitation for pulling the handle is at its greatest. Doors will lock for us, enabling security and solitude at times when escapism is the only way out. I believe doors are the gateway to our lives; they are the missing link in the chain that connects us from point A to point B.