Danielle - Syracuse, New York

Throughout my life, I have had many experiences that have led me to believe that nothing is impossible. I take it as a personal challenge when someone tells me I can’t do something or that something is impossible. Even when I was younger, I would accept any challenge that was thrown my way whether it be jumping the furthest on the swings or climbing up the rope the fastest. Although sometimes my efforts to be the best led to injuries, it could never take away the great feeling it gave me when I proved someone wrong.

The first time in my adult life that I started to believe that nothing really was impossible was when I got into Newhouse. Everyone told me to go to other schools and not bother, but I knew I could easily make it into Newhouse once I applied myself. Most recently, I applied for a position with GE in finance, but I had no finance experience. I made it through the first round and then on my site visit we had a dinner with all the candidates. It was then I found out that they had all interned with investment banks and other well known financial institutions and I was pretty much the only one who didn’t. When all was said and done, I got a job offer with them, once again proving that no matter how high the odds are stacked against you if you really want something you can get it.

I would have to attribute my drive and my attitude to my mom and dad. My mother came from nothing but made sure all her children had everything and my father came from a background where he had everything and a great education. These two extremes really made me realize all the things that were possible for me and what I needed to do to get them. My mom told me never to let anyone tell me I can’t do something, and I have always lived up to that.