Overcoming Everything

Allyson - Richfield, Wisconsin
Themes: disability

I am 16 years old and I have been dealing with dyslexia my whole life. I never understood why I always had a hard time reading in front of class or just writing simple words or math problems. My parents thought that I had something wrong with my brain and I have had many tests that had shown nothing until the winter of 8th grade. My mom works at a school and a speaker came in to talk to them about dyslexia. The speaker spoke about how the student or child may have a hard time understanding verbal instruction or not remembering meanings for words and she immediately thought of me. She signed me up to get a test with this speaker and I was then diagnosed with dyslexia.

Being diagnosed does not give me an excuse to get out of some mistakes I have made or to get sympathy from other people. It gives me a chance to show everyone that I have something to show, that I have something to give to this world and I can change my future for the better. I have a reason to push forward and keep making mistakes so I can fix them. I have a disability, but I know that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to.

Dyslexia has taught me to keep trying because I can always do better, even if it is hard. I have learned to accept that I have a disadvantage but take it as a challenge to push myself to do better and beat the statistics. I have proven to myself and others that even when I can’t spell or write papers very well I have found out that if I have the willpower and commitment to do what I love and dream of doing I can do it. I think of dyslexia as an opportunity to not only face my challenges, but help others to understand what I am going through. Disabilities make me “different” but I can still accomplish anything and everything that I put my mind to.