Michelle - kent, Washington
Themes: sports

It was 0-0 and the top of the 8th inning. Their pitcher, Sarah Minice, was the best pitcher in the league. My previous two at bats against her I struck out on her fastball inside. I knew that if I wanted to be successful I would have to be confident in myself. That is one life skill that I have learned, was being confident in my self. I was the lead off batter of the inning. My first pitch I got was a fast ball down the middle, I swung but was a little behind the ball. The next ball I got was a curve ball outside. I did not swing but it was called a strike. I started my swing early and watched the ball all the way to my bat. As I watched the ball jump off of my bat I saw the third baseman make a diving attempt at the line drive and miss. As I rounded first base I looked again and saw that the ball was rolling past the left fielder. Rounding second I looked at coach Hartman and he was signaling for me to come to third and slide. So I slide into third just about the same time that the ball had arrived in the third baseman’s glove. I looked up at the umpire and he signaled that I was safe. So much excitement ran through my body at that time. Our next hitter up hit a single and my pinch runner dove over the catcher and scored the winning run. It was the other teams chance to bat, but luckily they did not score. We had won and they were no longer undefeated.

I believe that softball is more than just a sport, it teaches you life lessons and skills. One life lesson that I learned is that you have to have confidence in your self even if you have failed before.

Another life lesson is dealing with a win and dealing with a loss. Both of those are really important, because you need to know how to poise your self in situations even if you are winning. For example, sometimes i am facing a really easy team and beating them badly. I cannot just sit there and rub it in their face; I have to act with some kind of class.

I have also learned that friends are hard to come by, but I can always turn to my softball friends for help. They always know what to say and how to act because we are always together. For example, if I am having trouble in softball I know I can turn to them and they will give me an honest answer because they care about me.

Some skills that I have learned from softball are being a team player. Obviously in softball you have to be a team player otherwise you will not be a very good teammate and not succeed.

Another skill is being a reliable teammate. When you are on a team your teammates need to know that you have their back and you can pick them up if they make a mistake.

Having determination is also a skill that I have learned. If you want to be good at a sport you need to have determination in order for you to succeed.

Softball for me has really helped shape my life and make me who I am today, and this is why I believe that softball is more than just a sport.