Lucas - McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania
Themes: sports

The simple and complicated stress of everyday life affects nearly everyone on the planet. Stress can cause severe illness and long term problems for people who do not handle it correctly. Everyone has their own way of dealing with stress and each person’s process is unique. Although each person’s way of dealing with stress is different, most of them accomplish the same thing. I believe that everyone has their own certain thing that they do that takes them to a particular state of mind where they are free from stress and the everyday problems that life presents.

Ever since I was four-years-old, golfing has been a big part of my life. I love every aspect of the game, from the tee to the green, and everything in between. When I am on the golf course or practicing hitting golf balls at the driving range, it seems to me as though all of my problems are pushed to the back of my mind and I am free to think about things without consequence and just for that short period of time I am happy and do not have to worry about life’s problems. I first realized this when my grandfather passed away and I was having an extremely difficult time dealing with it. I could not stop thinking about the situation no matter what I did. Then, one day after golf practice it hit me that for the previous two and a half hours, the thought of my grandfather had not even entered my mind. I was simply having fun doing something I love with a few good friends.

For some people, it is music. For others, it can be books, art, sports, running, working out, or simply taking a walk in the woods. Personally, for me, other than golfing, listening to certain songs or certain musical artists sometimes takes me away to that certain place where nothing else matters but what is going on at that exact moment. I believe that everything in life is easier and more enjoyable if you approach it with an upbeat and optimistic attitude. Finding that particular thing that helps you to clear your mind I honestly believe helps in making one feel better and ultimately a happier person. This I believe.