Self Determination

Shivam - St. Louis, Missouri

I believe self-determination allows me to accomplish my goals in life. Ever since my childhood, I learned not to give up. I thank myself for following this advice, which allowed me to experience more of life. Self-determination helps me stay fit, eat healthy, gives me the desire to beat my friends at any given competition, and gives me the drive to excel in school.

As a result, when I was little, my dad would always tell me not to ever give up. I was always determined to beat all my friends at any sport when I was young, before my days of elementary school. My friends and I did multiple events like running, jumping, and fighting. One of the events was who could run the fastest. I remember the only thought in my head was to beat me friends. I was not going to stop for a sprained ankle. I still remember how my heart used to race out of my chest and how my palms would get moist. Determination is what helped me win every race.

Self-determination is involved in eating healthy and not eating fat filled foods. When I was in my lower levels in elementary school I used to be chunky. I realized I was getting lazy, staying inside the house on the computer, and I had lost my adventuress I used to have when I was younger. When my friends brought this to my attention I knew they were right, and I had to change. From the fifth grade forward, I started working out and eating healthy. I started getting off the computer and playing outside more, and I engaged in other varieties activities with my family and friends. I was determined to have

my drive of accomplishing my goals that I set for my self. So far, I have accomplished and surpassed my goal of eating healthy and staying fit.

I know determination will keep allowing me to accomplish my goals because my grandfather also was determined of his goals in life. For example, one of my grandfather’s goal was to come to the United States of America when he was living in India. My grandfather was determined to achieve his goal even though he was very poor and had no parents to support him. He worked just about everyday in a farm. From the stories he told me, he was very crazy, and he was going to do anything he set his mind to. Once he arrived to the USA, he set another goal and it was to move his whole family to the USA. With his determined mind state, he accomplished all his goals.

I think self-determination helps me accomplish all my goals and will continue to help me on the future. I have learned that if I am determined I am able to do anything I set my mind to. Determination has also been proved by my grandfather. He also put his mind to a goal and accomplished it. Self-determination will allow a person to do anything.