Lindsay - Lexington, Kentucky

I believe in destiny. Until about a year ago I was not the kind of kid that would say things like, “It was destined to happen.” In fact I was the kind of kid that would smile politely and nod my head when people would say these words but inside I was thinking, “destiny, yeah right.” This was me until September 15, 2006 when I got my dog Harmony.

For years, my parents looked into getting my a service dog. I have a physical disability-you can’t come into this world weighing a pound without expecting a few lifetime problems- and need a service dog to retrieve things for me that I drop on the floor and are out of my reach. I also love the idea of having a constant companion. My parents found a local organization called Pawsibilities Unleashed that adopts dogs from area Humane Societies and temperament tests them to see if they would make good service dogs. My mom e-mailed them and told them what I needed.

They invited us to come and look at some canine candidates. When we got to the farm and opened up the van door, 2 of the dogs sniffed me and left. But Harmony, a short-haired boxer mix with a lovely under bite, jumped in and laid across my lap. She didn’t move except to give me a kiss on the cheek. She claimed me.

So why is this destiny? The trainers told me Harmony had spent most of her first year of life in the pound. Her caretakers at the pound felt she was unadoptable because she was too hyper. She was only days away from being euthanized when Pawsibilities rescued her. It makes me sad to think that Harmony spent so much time at the pound. It’s as if she was waiting for me. In fact, I think she was faking her “hyperactivity” because now if she’s not on duty, she’s on the couch with a pillow under her head.

I’ve had Harmony a year now and I now use the word destiny almost every day. I always look Harmony right in her big beautiful brown eyes and I say “What would happen if I hadn’t have gotten you?”

Harmony is now a certified service dog and goes everywhere with me. She helps with my physical disability and if I have a bad day at school she is always here for me to hug. Everyone always tells us that Harmony won the doggy lottery because she’s so lucky to have us but the truth is I think it was just destiny.