Ryan - Syracuse, New York

I can think of plenty of reasons why people should be scared or why people should be worried in this world, but what good comes from fear. I am not downsizing these feelings of apprehension; however fear is what holds people back. Without fear you live without limits. My earliest memory of feeling afraid was when I was four years old and I was learning how to ride a bike. My father would hold the back end of the bicycle while I peddled, so I wouldn’t teeter over. One time however he let go of the bike and I was riding on my own, the only problem was I didn’t know how to stop and I was heading right for a busy street. Not knowing what to do I forced myself to fall off of the bike onto the concrete, were I proceeded to cry. My father rushed over, brought me inside, and cleaned off my cuts. I remember he told me, “Don’t worry son, we will try again tomorrow.” The next day I got right back on the bike and the same thing happened. That’s when I started to feel like I would never actually learn to successfully ride a bike. The day after that I hopped back on, and I did it. Despite feeling like I would never accomplish riding a bike I did it and was no longer scared that I would fall off.

I have seen a lot of things in my life that can be perceived as being fearful or worrisome, but I do not let myself feel that way. To me, living your life in fear is not living your life. “There is nothing to fear but fear itself,” as Franklin D. Roosevelt would say. If we live in fear, than our fears will consume us and lead to turmoil. An artist, whose whole philosophy on life was that love and peace will cure the world of all hate, was Bob Marley. “Don’t worry, about a thing”, “Every little thing is going to be alright”, these are all lyrics in his songs. Though the words are very simple, the power is immense. It has taught me a lot in my life, and that is you can not worry about what you do not have control over, things happen and you can try to change them, but you can not worry about the outcome. If you know you tried and did all you could than you succeeded, but by not trying or being afraid you already failed. So surround yourselves with the people you care about and don’t be afraid of anything or it will tear you apart.