Carrie - Manchester, Missouri

Carrie Zeller

The Human Touch

I believe in the human touch. Whether it’s holding hands, receiving a warm hug, or a simple pat on the back. If there is one thing that can connect every person in this world it would be just that, the human touch. People love that feeling; furthermore I’ve learned through recent years that you should make an effort to reach out and touch somebody.

Personally I’ve been on both ends of my belief, and both ends are full of rewards when used correctly. For example, I have been on the end where I reached out and touched my brother. When his girlfriend of four years broke up with him and he told me his bad news, I reached out to him and gave him a reassuring hug. My brother and I stood there for the longest time in our hallway holding on to one another. It was almost like he couldn’t let go. It was my way of telling him that everything is going to be all right.

The other end of the belief is warming too. I have a year old nephew and a little while ago he had just learned how to crawl and get in all sort of trouble! But the best is when he’s crawling on the floor and he sees you and stops. Then he starts crawling in your direction while gaining speed. He then crawls right into your lap and stands up and gives you a little boy bear hug! I don’t believe that anything could ever replace my feeling when my nephew grabbed a hold of me and wouldn’t let me go. The feeling is so surreal.

However, at that same end situations are not always that great. When my parents were fighting, that was probably one of the lowest points in my life. When my Dad came to me with the news that he was moving out I was devastated. I hurried to find my phone and call my Mom. She explained to me that they might be getting a divorce. I didn’t know how to take in all of this information my parents threw at me, so I called my boyfriend. After work I immediately drove over to his house. I sat there on his couch and tried to explain to him my situation, but no words came out of my mouth. He looked into my eyes, which were full of tears, gave me a peck on the forehead, and just held me there, in his arms. For the ten minutes he was holding me I felt a sense of security, and then I knew that everything would be okay. All thanks to that human touch.