Heba - Belleville, New Jersey
Themes: war

One of the most controversial issues of today is the war in Iraq. I believe that whether we approve or disapprove of the war, we, as a nation, should support our troops. The United States has more than 150,000 US soldiers in Iraq today, and those soldiers deserve to know that we have their backs, and that they can rely on their amazing country for support. If they lose this nation’s support, what will they have left? Our friends, family and neighbors are in Iraq fighting for our rights. Therefore, it is our obligation to support the troops, regardless how one feels about the war.

Most of the soldiers entered the US Army not knowing the consequences of their actions. Coming out of high school, not many students can afford the high college tuitions. Therefore, they join the army, and the US Army pays for their higher education. When the US declared war on Iraq, most of the soldiers became very apprehensive. A perfect example of this is my neighbor Jamie, who joined the army after high school because he could not afford the back-breaking college tuition. Jamie was thinking not only about himself, but at this time, he and his beautiful wife were expecting a baby girl. How could he just leave for Iraq, when everything he had is here?

I could remember this day as if it were yesterday; it was probably the worst day of my life when Jamie was to be deployed to Iraq. My neighbors and I stayed up all night crying and praying. We cried for the baby that may never have a chance to see her father, and we prayed that one day she might. Together we tried to be strong, because in reality he was going to Iraq for us. He was going to Iraq to protect our freedom and to protect everything that we, as a nation have become. Jamie was willing to give up everything he loved for his nation- for this nation. The least we could do is give him, and all the United States troops, our support.

Do the soldiers that risked everything they held valuable deserve to lose the support of their country simply because one disapproves of the battle they are fighting? During the revolutionary war, there were some Americans that disapproved of the war. The results of the war were in our favor, and we finally received our independence from Great Britain. This is why we must continue to support our troops in all that they do. One of the main reasons I am proud to be an American is because of the pride Americans have in their country. We should all be very proud of our soldiers for all that they have done for us. We cannot, and we will not forget all the soldiers who gave up their lives for us, so that we can live our lives in freedom.