Bradley - Syracuse/NJ/07675, New Jersey
Themes: carpe diem

This I Believe…

As I have gotten older and matured, I have begun to evaluate my life in numerous ways, and have made a promise to myself to always keep improving as an individual and as a member of society. Just recently, upon ingratiating myself into college life, I have decided that I believe that the key to being truly happy in today’s world is to live in the moment. Based on inspiration from my older and dear brother, my concerted efforts to try to live by this mentality, and comparative results, I am convinced that this statement really does hold water. Although it seems like a rather simple and obvious concept, on the contrary, it is quite profound and meaningful.

When I first got to college, while it was not difficult to adjust to the new lifestyle, I was overwhelmed by the opportunities available to me, both from a social and academic standpoint. I suffered many times because I felt that there was always a lot that I was missing, and that better things were out there. Because this was such an issue, I called my much older brother, and he comforted me by saying that he endured similar feelings throughout this college career. He advised me to just remember that you can only do one thing at a time, and to always make the best of what you’re doing and enjoy it, as that will lead to ultimate satisfaction.

Based on his knowledge, I decided to pursue that idea by focusing less on the past, the future, what could be, and what could have been, and more on the present. I made a vow to myself that while I would address the future and reference the past, I would put everything I have into the current moment. Whether it be a difficult time or an enjoyable one, my outlook on life was completely altered.

When comparing my attitude towards life after this realization with my prior mentality, I must admit that I am pleased. I now find that I am an overall happier person, and am certainly a less stressful individual, which undoubtedly improves my quality of life. It is unbelievable how one sentence can entirely change how one lives his life, but in my case, that is precisely what occurred. I am thankful that I was blessed and able to learn such a significant lesson so early in my life, and I am determined to live by it until the day I die.

Based on my aforementioned experiences, I would fully recommend that simply living in the moment is a truly essential factor in living your life to the fullest. Unfortunately, in the world in which we live, one can always find negatives in what he is doing, pining for something more fulfilling. That being said, with the mentality of making the best of each situation day in and day out, one will not only feel satisfied, but will approach everyday life with a healthy, positive attitude.