Paul - dayton, Iowa

All my life I have been taught that one should be kind to others. My teachers would tell me to be kind by being respectful to those around me and to keep my nose out of other people’s business. Yet one day, I realized that there is more to being kind than just respecting others and minding my own business.

One day I had to go out to the store and get a few essentials. While I was walking out I saw an elderly woman with a cane who was having trouble with the three bags of groceries that she had purchased. Without really thinking about it, I walked over to her and asked if I could help her with getting her groceries to her car. She was very grateful for helping her. After I put her bags in her car, she insisted that I be rewarded for helping her with five dollars. Like most people, I did not help a fellow human being to be rewarded but because it was the right thing to do.

After I helped her in her car, I started to make my way to my car. When I went to pull out of the parking lot and into traffic, I ran into a problem. The traffic was thick enough that I was not able to pull out. I was starting to think that I would be stuck there for quite a while. That was, until an elderly lady stopped her car and waved me into traffic. As I started to turn on the road, I realized that the elderly lady that just let me onto the road was the same lady that I had helped with her groceries. I waved in thanks and I was on my way.

I believe in random acts of kindness, not because it is a chance to be rewarded in monetary means, but because it is the right thing to do. Plus, as I learned that day a random act of kindness you perform may come back to you in a way that you may not expect.