Jackie - Manchester, Missouri
Themes: sports, work

Never Give Up

“Jackie, you can do anything you set your mind to.” My mom said this to me all the time when I was little. How many times have you wanted to do something, but gave up on it because it was too hard? There are many times in my life when I want to do something and I don’t believe I can. For instance trying out for volleyball, high school, and club. I will always have situations where I want to give up, but I always keep my mom’s saying in my head to keep me going. It is an inspiration to me. Whenever I find my self in a situation where I just want to quit, I just think of what my mom used to tell me, and tell myself I can do it, if I just set my mind to it. Giving up is not an option to me.

I’ve been playing volleyball since the sixth grade. I didn’t find it hard at first because there wasn’t a lot of competition, and I also found it fun. Then high school came and everything was different. There were different coaches and lots of different girls. It took me some time to get used to all of the new things. It just wasn’t the same as before, high school was more up beat and competitive. Over the summer I was nervous about the upcoming tryouts the week before school started. I wasn’t sure how things would turn out, I would either make the team or, not. I did my best at tryouts and didn’t give up when I thought others were way better then I. It was a relief when tryouts were over, and a surprise to me I was on both freshman and JV teams. During my first season of high school volleyball, I learned a lot. However my coach told me that if I wanted to play next year, I should play all year round AKA club volleyball.

I thought that would be simple. Right? Go tryout for a volleyball team, I mean not that many girls do it right? Well I was totally wrong. When I walked into the first tryout, there were about a hundred, maybe more girls trying out along with me for this one club team. It was a blast in the face when I walked in. Only ten girls would be able to make the team. I was about to pack up my things and walk right out of that gym. One of the only reasons I stayed was because my best friend was doing this with me and I didn’t want to disappoint her. I didn’t do so well at that tryout, and I didn’t make the team. I was a little down, but then I told myself not to give up, and do my best at the next tryout. I mostly had to mentally prepare myself for the rest of tryouts. I had to show the coaches what I could do, and prove myself. We went to the next team; it was exactly like the last one, one hundred girls and only ten spots. This time I made it through the first cuts, and was proud of myself. During the second part of tryouts I was doing amazing. I knew that this was it.

We sat down and the coach talked to us about how he didn’t want to cut everybody, and that we were all very talented, but he could only hold so many on one team. Then he said he would call numbers off and if he called your number you had to go stand in a group in the corner. He called a few numbers. Then I recognized one of the numbers he called. I was amazed, that was my number! I remember sitting on the floor and my friend sitting next to me said, “Jackie that’s you, go up there!” After all, my hard work had paid off I was on the team.