Eyes

Allison - Rockford, Michigan

There are many eyes. Everyone has two. There are many people in this world. There are many eyes, and everyone has two. Some are green and some are blue. Some are small and some are big. Some are crying and some are smiling. Some are shut and some are open. There are many eyes and everyone has two.

My eyes are green. My eyes are small. They have cried and smiled. My eyes have been closed. Now my eyes are open. I believe in always keeping them open. I believe in seeing what I can see.

I see cars every morning on the road; cars with headlights, taillights, and the occasional rock band bumper sticker or metal Christian fish decal. Sometimes I can catch a glimpse of the Jesus loving soccer mom in a white suburban, with the Christian fish decal, if the lighting is right. She’s really glamorous drinking Starbucks in her black pea coat. She is smiling at her son, as if he just told a funny joke. Still, she seems a little sad. She seems a little fake and a little trapped.

I see teenagers every afternoon. I see the non-conformists, the conformists, and the occasional awkward band geek or foreign exchange student. A big group of non-conformists sit by the stairs. Some are making out with their girlfriends. Some are just talking and eating bagels from the school store. They look free eating their bagels with their knitted booties on. They are smiling at their friends as if someone just told a funny joke. Still, a few seem a little sad. Some non-conformists who sit by the stairs seem a little fake and a little trapped.

I see my family every night. I see my mom, my dad, my sister, and my brother. Sometimes we all sit down together and eat dinner. We talk about football. We talk about my sister’s jobs. We talk about me, and I usually stare at my spaghetti. I love spaghetti. I look normal sitting down for a family meal. I smile because my brother tells the funniest jokes. Still, I am a little sad. I feel a little fake and a little trapped.

Keeping my eyes open is hard. The more I see, the more I learn. Everyone is a little sad, everyone is a little fake, and everyone is a little trapped. Although, the lady in the white suburban does not have a job, she works really hard making supper and cleaning the house. Although, the “weird” kids by the stair are reckless, some of them go to church youth group every Sunday. There are many happy times and many sad times. There are many blue, green, brown, hazel, yellow, orange, pink, and purple eyes to see those times. Although, I have closed my eyes, I believe in keeping them open. I believe in seeing what I can see. I believe in every story. I believe in every special human being.