Anthony - Rockford, Michigan

Potential; a latent excellence or ability that may or may not be developed. A man once told me that having potential was just another excuse for not getting it done. He was a firm believer in the work ethic of a person and getting past that point of tiredness and exhaustion, he knew how to give it all up on the field or how to do it all in the classroom. He did whatever it took to get the job done. This man is Ralph Munger who was my football coach the past two years and he taught not only me but many other 17 and 18 year old boys how to drive through that point of exhaustion and also how to eliminate “Freddy Soft” from your head. His most common statement was don’t sell yourself short, don’t waste a good thing, and to do all you have to do to get the job done whether it be in a classroom, on the playing field or life in general, do not by all means take anything for granted.

This I believe in reaching your full potential. I don’t feel that strong work ethic is a part time thing, it has to be and must be an all the time habit in a person’s life. Many are quick to blame failure on physical or mental ability as opposed to lack of effort, a flawed work ethic, or a lack of discipline. Reaching your full potential isn’t implying that you be the best at something, it simply means knowing your upper limit and doing all you can to attain that level of academic achievement or physical ability, it means quite literally being the best that you can be, not compared to others but only to yourself. Ultimately there is a great satisfaction that can be attained when you perform at your peak ability, it’s when there is no doubt that you did all you could, win or lose, pass or fail, and you couldn’t have tried any harder, that is when you have reached your full potential.

Most people will only do what is necessary to survive and try to not draw attention to themselves in fear that they could succeed or would have to take the blame of failure. In the words of Marianne Williamson “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us…Your playing small does not serve the world…As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” She says it perfectly; it is people’s fear of being great, fear of excelling, fear of standing out that holds us back. Reaching your full potential is the hardest thing to accomplish in a single lifetime, but the toughest part of that journey is realizing that potential is just having the ability to move, it is the force that moves you that you must find.