Marcos - Belleville, New Jersey

Marcos Perez

The Second Amendment

I go to Belleville High School in Belleville, NJ. One day, when I was in my US history class, we were learning about the Bill of Rights. The Bills of Rights is the first ten amendments to the United States Constitution. All of the Bill of Rights are pretty reasonable, except for one that I noticed.

The second amendment says “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” My history teacher told me that at that time since there was no police force people needed to protect themselves after making them selves an independent country from Britain.

Now, in the year 2007, we have an extremely well regulated militia (army, air force, etc.) and a large police force. So my question: is why are people still allowed to keep weapons in their homes? We could use them to protect ourselves from minor things, like robbery or destruction of property. The only thing is that people are actually using those weapons to kill more people than protecting themselves or their belongings. Especially where there is much gang violence, shoot outs, and other acts from other people.

Good examples are the shootings in Virginia. Many students from a Virginia Tech were shot by someone caring a hand gun. Another event is the shootings in Omaha mall. Some random person decides to leave a suicide note to his mom and went to the mall. When he got there he was using a gun to kill many people. After he shot many people, he ended shooting himself.

This all proves that people should not be able to buy, own, or even hold a dangerous weapon. This is my belief. People should NEVER use such dangerous weapons.