Hayley - Rockford, Michigan

There is a peculiar tendency that perpetuates throughout the vastness of human nature. It is a tendency of regret, of longing, or trepidation. It is a tendency of innocence, of hopelessness, of hope. It is a tendency often ignored, stifled under the fear of an ignorant mind who thinks it best to ignore the unknown. It is a tendency that epitomizes the most basic desire possessed by man: the tendency of wishing to leave a mark upon the world.

For many years, I have struggled with this issue. I am not a narcissist, nor do I put any stock in religion. It has not been until of late that I have found my peace. I put my faith in an abstract term, one that does not force me to believe in archaic ideas, but one that gives me a purpose that is otherwise unattainable. I believe in infinity.

Infinity is a belief that is quite different than a belief in eternity. While eternity is often associated with religion, infinity is secular in nature. I do not believe that our bodies, our beings, our souls go on infinitely. However, I believe that our memories, our substance, continue on for an infinitely long duration. Whether people are remembered by name, by act, or by association, there will always be an impact made upon the world. However, perhaps ‘remembered’ is not the most fitting word to be used in this situation. An individual’s actions can be noticed by the generations to come, regardless of knowing who said a certain phrase, or completed a certain deed. Names are arbitrary labels that can be changed on a whim; the memories of an individual are the true substance that marks a momentous life.

It is because of this manner of thinking that I have found a purpose to govern my life. I still know that my death is ever imminent and unavoidable, but knowing that I will go on infinitely removes the utter pointlessness of this life. Infinity is infinite.