Nicholas - san antonio, Texas
Themes: gratitude

The glass is always half full, and this I believe. I am currently 27 years old and reside in San Antonio, Texas. I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan, were at the age of twenty I let home and joined the United States Air Force. I have been to many different places and have seen many different things. I am now a Drill sergeant for Basic military Training.

Getting to were I am today I have experienced many things, both good and bad. Once I joined the military I said to myself that I hope they don’t send me anywhere that is cold. I was hoping for a place like Hawaii or maybe even Florida. Instead they sent me to Alaska. Even though I did not want to go I kept a positive outlook on it and I’m glad I did. In the tree years that I was there, I had the time of my life. I had the privilege to see some of the most beautiful country that I have ever seen before. I met a lot of great people that I will have for friends forever. I met a girl there that became my wife. Unfortunately it didn’t work out but while it did it was a great time. I learned to snowboard and got to see grizzly bears much closer than I ever wanted to.

After I left Alaska, I was sent down to San Antonio, Texas. I did not really want to come down here to become a drill sergeant. It is not like me to yell and be mean to other people but I embraced it anyway. Shortly after I started to train these individuals I started to see what an impact I was having on other people’s lives. I never new that one person could have such an impact. When they come down here, most have never been away from home and are a little scared of what is to come. By the time they leave they have grown up; they hold there heads up high, and are no longer timid. They leave with a sense of accomplishment. Most of which thank me for helping them become better.

Out of all the life experiences that one will go through, you have to keep your eyes open. Even though it may not be what you wanted, there is always something good that can come out of it. You just have to look at the glass half full. This I believe.