Caitlin - Rockford, Michigan

We all have the ability to become superheroes. You, me, him, her, all of us. It doesn’t matter where you come from, what your family is like, or who you’re friends with. It doesn’t matter if you are the coolest, most popular girl in school or the nerdiest, geekiest guy. This I believe: everyday superheroes are all around us. Anyone can become one at any time, in any place.

When I was sixteen, I went on a missions trip with my church. We went to Toronto, Canada. I know it seems weird, to go to Canada of all places, but that’s where we went. We stayed there for a week. Imagine that: two vanfuls of teenagers with two adult leaders, about fourteen of us total. When we got into Toronto, we drove around a little bit, looking for the church where we would be staying. After settling in for a little while, we went to dinner at a Jamaican/Caribbean restaurant. It was then that we were told our schedule for the week. We were going to be doing a lot of interesting things, but the thing that stuck out most for me was the fact that we were going to be tutoring Somalian refugee children. The first day we went, it was a little tough. The main problem was the language barrier; we were speaking all English and they were speaking hardly any. By the end of the week, however, it was like there had never been any language barrier at all. When I saw the looks on their faces at the end of each day, I knew I had done something good. I honestly felt like a superhero. I hadn’t done anything to save humanity or the world, but I had done something to help another person. That is one of the greatest feelings a person can get in their life; feeliing like you have done something truly worthwhile. The kids looked up to me, and I felt really special.

When we left Toronto that summer, I knew I would probably never see that family again. But it didn’t matter. They had become my family. Knowing that I had helped to advance those kids’ futures and lives, even the tiniest bit, made me feel awesome. I think that everyone has the opportunity to change someone’s life. It doesn’t matter where you are, what your family is like, or who your friends are. Even by doing the smallest things, like offering someone a smile that you normally wouldn’t, can change their life. It can make you a superhero in someone’s eyes. This I believe: everyday superheroes are even cooler than the famous ones.