Kelsey - Rockford, Michigan

This I Believe: That I’m a big hunk of rock, and everyone around me has a chisel… and one of those hammer things.

I’ve lived my life with the philosophy that you can never meet too many people. Just like a sculptor changes the shape of a rock, every acquaintance changes the person you are. It’s important to understand the person you want to become, and find friends that will help you in becoming that person.

Personally, I had a hard time finding my “role” in high school. I met people from all different cliques, trying to find some long lasting, uplifting friendships. It took me a while to understand, though, that while making friends, it’s most important to stay true to your values. Don’t change yourself to gain others’ acceptance. Although everyone around you possesses a chisel, you ultimately choose who you allow close enough to influence you.

Try and meet everyone. Keep an open mind. Everyone has something useful to teach you. Because everyone is changing you, it’s important to know what’s out there, and to meet every different type of person. Don’t worry when you don’t get along with everyone. No one does. Just keep being yourself. You’ll find people who’ll accept you for who you are, and will help uplift you to who you want to become. When you find those people, hold on to them, but don’t limit yourself to only them. While they may be sculpting you into something beautiful, you could be missing out on a relationship that would help you in becoming a masterpiece.

Remember, that while people are changing you, you are changing people as well. Help your peers become who they want to be as they help you. Even without trying, you are influencing the people around you. Everyone is in the same position you are. They’re working to become their own masterpieces. Be the person that people are searching to find.

I believe that life’s a time not only for discovering who you are, but for creating who you want to be.