Bailey - Rockford, Michigan
Themes: community

Maybe I’m not the best singer, one with the sweet voice of an angel, or one that has an amazing ability to harmonize, but I do like to sing. God has granted me with my dad’s love for a good tune and my mom’s lack of singing skills. I’d like to believe that when God hears me sing he doesn’t hear the off key notes or the way out of pitch words, but He does. I think He enjoys what imperfections I bring to the table. I don’t know where I would be without music. Music gets me through the day.

For me, it is songs of praise, especially at camp. We have a tradition that we end firebowl, our nighttime devotions, by singing Jacob’s Ladder. The last verse, we all stand and hold our hands above our heads. Music brings us closer together and at the least, closer to God. When we sing “Heart of Worship” at camp I always feel chills down my spine as if the words were being written along each vertebra.

And I like to sing at other times too. Like when I’m driving down the highway, singing my lungs out and cars are passing me doing double takes at what they’ve just seen. I could care less what people on the highway think of me because I probably won’t ever see them again. Music helps to break barriers between people, even if they are in separate cars and people can’t hear the song you are singing.

I believe in the power that music can drive us together, whether it is prepared for or not, whether we want it to or not.