Arjun - Syracuse, New York

John Lennon once asked us to Imagine. Imagine no countries. Imagine nothing to kill or die for. Imagine life in peace. Imagine no religion. I believe that there should be an absence of religion.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to sound atheist. I strongly believe people should have a choice. But imagine if there wasn’t a choice to begin with. Imagine if the concept didn’t exist. It would be a world without hate crimes, war and propaganda.

My parents are Hindu’s. And I was born a Hindu. But am I really something I was born into? I believe NOT. Like me there are several people around the world who don’t believe in the religion they were born into. Some follow other religions; some follow no religion, while some pick out the best in different religions. This diversity in ideas, as one might see as progressive, is what leads to such hate crimes, and propaganda.

One would wonder, why not one religion? The ideology of having one universal religion is the same as having two religions. It gives us a choice – The choice of following that religion or not following it at all. I believe if one was not offered that choice is when people would not fight against each other to “convert”, to spread their beliefs and hence there would be nothing to kill or die for and ultimately live in peace.

I conclude again with the words of John Lennon “You may say I am a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you will join us, and the world will be as one”