Stephen - Burlington, Kentucky

The question states, “ How do people come to know the things they know?” To me the answer is pretty simplistic. I believe that people tend to learn things in two separate ways. The way people tend to learn is through the power of observation and through the process of trial and error. I also believe that every individual learns differently, and that just because something works for one person, it doesn’t mean that that same process of theory will work for other people.

Let’s look at my beliefs individual as to how people learn. I first stated that I believe way can learn in one of two ways. The first way I believe people learn is through the power of observation. A great way to learn is to watch others. When I first started teaching, I spent several days watching other teachers in a classroom setting. This was especially useful to me as I was coming into teaching from the business world. By watching others, you many times are able to see what works, and sometimes what doesn’t work. This encompasses not only in the philosophy of the idea, but also in execution of the idea. By observing others, you are able to pick up valuable traits like style, transition of ideas, how to handle topics, and even students and discipline. I truly believe myself that the best way to become and improve your teaching style is to watch what others do and even don’t do with a class or a topic. Why reinvent the wheel, when many times the wheel is already in operation.

The second idea I mention about learning is through the process of trial and error. You need to try things, even if it means you may fail, or not be as successful as you had hoped. I spend hours on the internet researching new lessons plan to use with my classes, and many of the plans I use work great, others flop miserably. You can’t be afraid to fail; as you will make your learning process become stagnant. The best way to build knowledge is to try to build a base of ideas, and teaching methods. You need to be able to continually try new methods, as every student learns differently. You can’t be afraid to try, otherwise you’ll teach your students to be afraid of failure.