Alicia - san antonio, Texas
Themes: family, illness

I believe that family is the most valuable possession a human being could ever have. Your family will always be there for you during good or bad times. I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and became very ill about 5 years ago. I was not able to walk, dress myself, shower or do any of the basic daily routines people take for granted, but I was blessed to count with the unconditionally love of my family. My husband became my legs and arms and I was able to overcome the illness sooner than expected. My children were also there for me; even though they were too young to comprehend fully that mommy was very sick, they took good care of me and where my motivation to keep on going. I believe that without my family’s love and support I would not be able to share this story with you.

I understand that being part of a family is not always easy. I come from a big family, we are seven siblings and of course not all of us get along with each other at all times, each of us have our own philosophy and see the world in totally different ways. There are always arguments and disagreements every time we get together but anytime one of us needs a hand, we are always there to help each other no matter what the circumstance might be. Knowing that I could count on any of my siblings in a time of need is priceless. They are the foundation of my view and respect towards the true meaning of family. I am teaching my children to learn to be tolerant of one another and to stick together during time of happiness, success, sadness and failure. I am making sure that they too learn how valuable and rewarding is to have a family. After all, family is my most valuable possession.