Simply Living

Brenda - Loveland, Colorado

A disappointing thing happened when I decided to write my personal philosophy about life. I realized that I’m not what most people would consider remarkable. However, I believe that living an extremely “ordinary life” can be remarkable.

To be considered remarkable it seems that a person must be a super achiever or overcome some huge obstacle; I have done neither. I’m not the best at anything, although I’m good at many things. I’m a good photographer, a good quilter, skier, hiker and a good friend.

A lesson my mom taught me about life is this: there is always more to do, more to learn, and always someone better than you are. Mind you, there’s always someone worse that can use your help!

I’ve never been in a terrible accident and I’ve never suffered from a debilitating disease. Thank God! I grew up in a relatively small town, graduated high school, went to college and became a special education teacher. I’m a white, middle class, middle-aged woman. I was never abused as a child and I’ve never been brutally assaulted. Again, thank God!

I don’t smoke, I don’t drink, and I have no major addictions (barring chocolate). I waited until I was married to have sex and have only been with one man, my husband of 22 years. He waited until he was married to have sex with me, so I’ve never had to deal with a sexually transmitted disease. In this day and age, don’t you think that is remarkable?

I taught school for several years before I had children and then decided to stay home to raise my family. I believe being a good wife and mother is the best and most important job I could possibly have. Some would find this boring. I believe it is – remarkable.

I live my life tackling everyday problems such as cleaning up after the glass bottle full of milk explodes in the refrigerator or when my youngest son vomits in the middle of the night from the top bunk bed onto the carpet below. I drive my kids to music lessons, attend their soccer games and volunteer at their schools. I take meals to grieving families, donate blood, and lend a helping hand wherever I’m needed. I believe in God and try to remain true to my faith everyday. I’m happy. I feel loved.

I admit that I’ve imagined what it would be like to make a significant difference in the world – to discover a cure for a disease, to save another person’s life, to receive a Nobel Prize. Who knows, it could happen, my life is not over. In the meantime, I will continue to be the best person I know how to be, by helping those around me whenever possible, by being kind and generous and dealing with problems as they arise with grace and honor. But most importantly, I am happy to be an ordinary woman simply living a remarkable life.