Roxanne - San Antonio, Texas

I strongly believe in family values. They teach morals, respect, faith, honesty, and the Golden Rule. In my opinion, family values are the basis and foundation of this great country. I think that the future of America depends on the principles that can be taught today by none other than our family. My grandmother always said that “home is the first school.” I have so many positive memories of my grandmother. She was a true ideal role model for any woman. She was a strong, hardworking, and faithful citizen. I remember we would ride the bus to downtown on Saturday afternoons to have lunch and ice cream and sometimes hit up the thrift shops for some good deals. Then every Sunday morning, she would take me to church without fail. During the week, she walked me to school every morning, discussing issues such as the leaders of this country and the importance to vote. She would pick me up from school in the afternoons and take me to the backyard swing set while we would sing hymns together like “When the Saints Go Marching in,” and “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands”. At night, we would share a cup of coffee and sweet bread while she would tell me all about The Great Depression and the many challenges her and her family faced while growing up. We walked, talked, rode the bus together, and just hung out, from my elementary school years all the way to my college years. My grandmother taught me to pray, to be meek, to have manners, to be modest, and most importantly taught me to pass on my family values learned to my children. It has been three years now since she passed away. Although she is greatly missed, it gives me great pride to know, though, that she was able to see that the little girl that she raised grew up to be a great woman like her; a woman of faith, meticulous and studious, and at the same time, a loyal wife and loving mother. I plan to be that grandmother to my children’s children that they will speak of to their children many years from now.