Regina - San Antonio, Texas

I believe a strong faith in God can guide you through the darkest day. At the age of 25, I had discovered my life‘s purpose, a wife to my husband who had just earned his college diploma and a full time employee with hopes of one day going back to school. I worked full time and living with my husband he had just graduated from college and he had just started a great job at this point we thought things were about to get better and hoped to soon start a family. Although we struggled while he was in school we know that by him graduating this was going to change everything, but we never realized that things would only get worse before they would get any better.

So as the months past both our fathers were in and out of the hospital and my grandmother had past away. So after all the struggles of our family life and school we thought that things could not get any worse by this we only hoped that things would get better. Little did we knot that when I went for my annual cardiologist visits that I would be given an ultimatum that would change my life forever. I had had several surgeries as an infant and was doing fine never having any problems or taking any medication. The Doctor gave me the news that I was going to need surgery and was not something that could wait. He explained that I would need a Valve transplant and I had to have it done within the next six months, because it was a matter of life or death. At this point I was devastated, but I knew that the right thing to do was to have the surgery with my family by my side and my tremendous faith in God I got through the surgery with flying colors.

I believe that having a strong faith in God helped me to embrace what was happening and I knew that whatever happened was part of god’s plan for me. The surgery has changed my life for the better. I have returned to College and have been accepted to the school of my dreams. I know that every day is a new day and I thank God for giving me the opportunity live and experience one more day.