Life’s Challenges Can Make You Stronger

Glenn - San Antonio, Texas

What do I believe? When I think about this question there are so many things that come to mind. But to sum it up in a few words, I believe in God and what I call the three “F’s”, faith, family and friends.

I can remember growing up in a small town in Mississippi under the watchful eyes of my mother, grandmother, and brothers. It was during this time that I obtained the foundation of my beliefs. My mother constantly taught us about God and I learned about family and faith through her example. Times were hard with her being a single parent but her faith that things would be alright never wavered.

I soon grew up, joined the Air Force, and eventually started my own family. I’ve always believed that God would one day bless me with a beautiful wife and wonderful children. I knew there would be trials and tough times, but I also knew that God, family and good friends, and faith would get me through anything. Well, that day came on 9 September of 1989 when all I believed would be put to the test. That’s the day my first daughter was born weighing only one and a half pounds. Six years later on 27 April 2005, my second daughter was born weighing only 14 ounces. You see, they both are primordial dwarves.

It has been 18 years since the birth of my first daughter. Both girls have had numerous major surgeries with the most recent one being less than six months ago. I must say that what I believe in has gotten us through. Although both girls have special needs, they are extremely happy and just love life. Ayumi, now 18 years old is 31 inches tall and weighs 18 pounds. Jenna, now 12 years old is 27 inches tall and weighs 12 pounds. Our faith in God pulled us through and our friends and family certainly stepped up to the plate. If I didn’t believe in the things I do and have the love and support of family and friends, I don’t know how I would have survived. As I think about it, I realize that I have become a better person because of these things. Life’s tests will certainly break you or make you stronger. As I look at the love and strength of my wife and the joy and faith of my girls, I know that we are a strong and close knit family.

Life can get so busy that we forget about what’s really important. My and I are constantly evaluating what we’re doing and why we’re doing it. This keeps us grounded and focused on what we really believe. It keeps us from neglecting what’s really important to us. God, faith, family and friends.