Alexandra - Grand Rapids, Michigan
Themes: pleasure

Soda, coke, soft drink, cola or as I like to call it pop. All of these words produce an image of an ice cold, fizzy 7-Up; so refreshing on a hot sweaty day. I, however, like to think of this picture’s less valued cousin, a previously opened can that’s been sitting in the fridge for an hour or two just waiting for its owner to return. It may still be filled to the brim or tightly clinging to that last elusive drop; either way you know that any fizz the drink contained earlier is definitely gone.

This may seem like a strange image to enjoy but I do like it. It reminds me of one of my most important life lessons: flat pop. I believe in flat pop. Old pop is so often overlooked; the bottle or can gets thrown away after a week or two regardless of whether or not it has all been emptied and enjoyed. I even know people who will refuse to finish their drink if it has been sitting out for as little as a half hour…even if it is still half full.

However, old pop, like most overlooked things in life has a purpose too. Flat soda is excellent for angry throats and upset tummies. And it tastes like a little piece of heaven when you have a cold, which is a frequent occurrence in my home state of Michigan. One of my closest friends, Melissa, avidly avoids flat pop when she is healthy; saying that to drink pop without any carbonation is absolutely absurd and shouldn’t be done. However, as soon as Melissa has strep throat or the flu, wanting nothing more than flat pop, she opens up a can of 7-Up just to leave it in the fridge for a couple hours, insuring that it will be nice and fizz-free.

Melissa isn’t the only one who has this change of heart towards the beverage in her time of need. In fact, we all do at one time or another, even if its behind closed fridges. Flat pop is the anything and everything that we overlook and do not appreciate a vast majority of the time. The strict and overbearing parents constantly pushing us to work harder…that get us into college, the obnoxiously barking family dog…that warns of an intruder long before Brinks.

I try to live my life remembering the flat pops; creating in myself a more optimistic perspective on things that may originally appear undesirable. In reality, most of these things are blessings in disguise, if only you are willing to put them in the fridge a few hours until they are nice and fizz-free, relieved of their initial bite and burn. Soda, coke, soft drink, cola, pop or as I like to call it: salvation.