Big Bang

Christopher - Burlington, North Carolina
Themes: question

In school, we were all taught that the universe, also known as everything, “began” with the ‘big bang.’ Public education must remain mum on any non-secular forms of creation, so this has been the only viable explanation for more than 50 years and has littered science books as if someone could actually prove it. The truth is, that we have no idea how we were created. All attempts to provide an explanation, secular or not, are leaps of faith.

It’s all right in school because they only give you the primmer; “Cliff’s notes” explains the big bang. That’s why we accept it. Only after I did some reading of my own did I come across this idea of ‘singularity.’ Singularity is essential to the operation of the big bang. When scholars argue as they postulate about the first fractions of the first second after the “big bang” (which admits that its name is a misnomer in that there likely was no explosion, only a release of energy) they are talking about the fractions of seconds that occurred after ‘singularity.’ The totality of all the matter, energy, and antimatter in the Universe reduced to the size of one atom; this state is “singularity.”

The Big Bang Theory states that as all the elements in existence drew closer and closer into an increasingly smaller and hotter packet the energy became too much to be contained, and had to be released. The subsequent big bang accounts for the constant cooling, constantly expanding, and unceasingly noisy (referring to the intergalactic “fuzz” that radio telescopes hear form outer space) Universe in which we live today. This noise in outer space is residue from the radiation left over from the big bang, which fits right into theories about the big bang.

A competing theory proposed in Bill Bryson’s A Short History of Almost Everything submits the possibility of many big bangs that could occur elsewhere in the Universe. It also proposes the possibility of a converse retreat from this expansion, creating a sort of “universal pulse,” as the universe expands and contracts. It should be remembered, though, that there is no data cited for this theory. There is not any evidence brought forward to support this crazy idea. But it presents a question. And since we actually don’t know how it happened, isn’t it better to ask questions. I believe that we should be stimulating the creativity of young minds, rather than giving them some old dead white guy’s best guess and asking them to write essays on them to be graded for graduation.