Stephen - Ballwin, Missouri

It’s the city that never sleeps. A misconseption for most, but true for me. As the king size silk sheets tuck me in, the smoke of the 38 candles still linger in the air. It was a good birthday, just like any other. Dragged myself out of bed and decided on the Bentley to drive into work. Said ‘goodmornin’ to Chip, the regular valet, and started through the marble lobby. With an Armani suit and top of the line italian shoes, I strolled into there like I owned the place, which I did. Fifty steps to the elevators. Fifty steps. It had become so routine, 7 days a week. Never skipping a day. Fifty steps to the elevator, rising to the top floor which would take me to my corner office. For that time in the office, I’m king. Nothing can stop me from making business deals left and right. Nothing is important besides work. But after all the glitz and glory, reality sets in. As the sun starts to hide behind the sky scrapers, I stop whatever I’m doing and just stare. The pink, purple, orange, and yellow sky leaves me breathless. It makes me realize, there is more out there. As I sit there, staring, deep regret fills every part of me.

Luckily, this person is only a figment of my imagination. Although, sadly, there are many stories like this one. In this world, money is so important. It is everyone’s dream to become rich and famous. After all, It’s the American dream.

There a hundreds of movies that convey this point, for example Scarface or The Family Man. The phrase isn’t a new one. “Money can’t buy happiness.” You could have all the money in the world and not be happy.

My experience with this subject is on somewhat of a smaller scale. When I was a little boy, I used to have the mind set that a new or better toy would make me happier than I was. But when I finally had this new toy, it would soon lose its appeal and I would move on to the next cool thing. It took me a while to realize, It’s not the material things around you, but it’s the little things and people that can brighten up your day.

If you think to yourself, ‘If only I made an extra zero in my paycheck, my life would be better.’ It probably won’t. It might be hard to believe, but a Ferrari will eventually grow old. There are so many other important things in life to live for; the sound of a creek, a beautiful sunset, a big hug, or just even watching a hot air balloon. This is what I believe. Fortunate for me, I still have some time. I am only seventeen.