Naseem - Skokie, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

I Believe in Letting Life Stop for Just a Moment

I go to school, I pray, learn, and do homework; the cycle goes on and on, day after day, and has since kindergarten. Life has changed dramatically since then; I have more responsibilities, homework, and stress. Now, in high school at XXXX, there is barely any free time, time to relax. Yet, I seem to have found a way to relax almost every day.

Every day, I take the bus to school. On the bus, whether it’s crowded or barely full, I can let everything go for a good 40 minutes. I know, it seems like such an odd place to relax; a bus that is noisy and full of strangers. To me that’s part of what makes it so easy to relax. For those 40 minutes, I stop worrying about my life. I don’t think about what tests or assignments I have that day in school, I just sit calmly and let other people’s conversations wash over me. It‘s as if my life stops for that time, as if the bus were a temporary time capsule, and I’m an object inside of it. Just like good things come to an end, so too does this bus ride. As I’m nearing the stop before school, that’s when I come out of my time capsule and just like time had never stopped, all of the stress comes flooding back like a Tsunami.

Taking a breath, though, is important to do, not only on the bus, but at home. Every day, I say, “Today is the day that I’m going to wake up on time at 6:00 a.m.;” nonetheless, I stare into space for a couple of minutes. It’s a fight between my alarm clock and my body. There the alarm clock is, blasting music from the radio and beeping obscenely loud, and my body is fighting the urge to get out of bed; and the body wins the battle by a long shot. I let myself sit in bed, take in the sky, the music, and forget about the approaching long day. Eventually, I have to get out of bed and get ready, but thank God for those few minutes.

But, I need more time to relax after that long day, so when I arrive home, I lie on the floor or my bed; I don’t think about my day or the hours of homework I have to do, I relax by just lying there or listening to music.

Relaxing is so important, especially when you have a hectic day ahead of you or just finished one. I’ll do all of my homework, I’ll pray, I’ll learn, but I know that the next morning on the bus or in my bed, or that night, I’ll have a time to look forward to, a time to relax. This I believe.