Alex - Lexington, South Carolina

I believe in the limits of time. There are certain windows open for certain occasions and when those windows close you can never have that time back. That is why it is of the utmost importance to use all of the time you can to be with the ones who are important to you. My birthday is January 30. My Grandpa’s birthday lies on the same day. Ever since I was a little boy, just a couple of years old, we have spent our birthdays together. When it starts getting close to the big day and he talks about it, I get the feeling that it is the most important day of the year to him. There were many times when I was younger that he would take me to the Circus since it comes so close to our birthday. He used to pick me up from my house really early, around 6:00 a.m. sometimes. As I got older he would choose things for us to do that I would like better than the year before. For a few years, we played Golf together only on our birthdays. I now regret not doing it more. He had both of his knees replaced some years ago so he can’t play anymore, even though it’s one of the things he loved to do the most. One year he picked me up and drove me to North Carolina to play at a really nice course. After the activity we would do, he would take me to a store and buy me whatever birthday gift I wanted. We would always spend the whole day together. We’ve never really spent that much time together between birthdays and over the past few years I haven’t spent as much time as I used to with him on our birthdays. Sadly, last year I didn’t spend hardly any time with him. More and more my Grandpa has said less about our birthdays coming up. I feel like it’s because he thinks I don’t really care about it that much anymore. About a month and a half ago, my girlfriend and I were at the Beach for the day at the same time as my Grandparents. They asked us to eat with them, but because we had to drive back that night and were already tired, I declined. I felt terrible and started to realize that I had forgotten what is important in life. So-called “friends” who wouldn’t have your back if it inconvenienced them aren’t important. A “friend” comes a dime-a-dozen. Family are the ones who are going to have your back when no one has theirs. I wrote this essay because I want my Grandpa to know how important OUR birthday is and how much it means to me.