Everything Happens for a Reason

Abigail - Toledo, Ohio
Themes: purpose

I believe everything happens for a reason. My faith in God and my experiences in my life have brought me to this conclusion. Everything that happens may or may not have a positive outcome, but I believe that what doesn’t kill me only makes me stronger. I believe that the fight I had with my friends, the brain tumor my father had, and the boat crash I got into when I was young happened for a reason, and I am now stronger then ever because of them.

When I was young I was terrified of getting into a boat crash. One summer when I was at my cottage, my family decided it was a great day to go swimming. My siblings and I hopped onto our speedboat with my grandfather and we headed to the sandbar, with my mother and grandmother on the boat behind us. All of a sudden I looked up and a different speedboat was headed right for ours’. Before I could warn my grandfather the boat hit us. Before I knew it, the boat was a foot deep in water and I started to panic. My mom and grandmother came and helped us onto the other boat. Thankfully no one was injured, but I became terrified of boats. For the next few years I refused to get onto a boat because of my fear of getting into another crash. I eventually overcame my fear and decided that everything happens for a reason and maybe that was a way for God to make my worst fear in the water come true so in return I would realize that it was no big deal and everyone was okay.

When I was a freshman in high school my father had a brain tumor. At first the doctors thought his situation was extremely bad. They did not know if it was cancerous and if the cancer had spread to any other part of his body. I prayed for everything to be okay and thankfully God answered my prayers and the tumor turned out to be benign. All my father had to do was have brain surgery. This was a little risky but not as bad as if it had been cancerous.

When I was in high school I got into a fight with my friends because I became friends with a girl they didn’t like. What I thought was the worst time in my life turned out to be the best, because I realized that everything happens for a reason. The girls I was friends with ended up doing illegal drugs. I am glad that I now have friends that make better choices.

Everything happens for a reason. My strong faith in God has mad me come to this realization, although the consequences of an occurrence may or may not be positive. The worst parts in my life that I have explained in this paper and their outcomes have made my belief even stronger. Everything happens for a reason, even if the reason is unclear.