Christopher - Salem, New Hampshire

I believe in magic. Yes, magic. It might sound silly to most people who think magic is something from children’s fairy tales, but I still believe in it. I’ve experienced it first hand. I’m not talking about movie magic where lighting flashes from your fingertips, but the spiritual traditions of magic. You might have experienced it too. When you wished upon a star, or blew out your birthday candles and what you were thinking really did come true, you have experienced magic. Magic was always a part of our ancient cultures, thought now we tend to think of it as superstition. Perhaps our ancestors were wiser than we give them credit for now. Perhaps they knew something most of us have forgotten.

I started as a skeptic. When a longtime friend told me she was a priestess of witchcraft, and practices magic, I thought she was silly, or worst yet, had joined a cult. But I humored her because I wanted to understand what she was so excited about. She invited me to a full Moon ritual at her home on a warm summer evening. We stood in her back yard, in black robes with candles lit on the altar before us, and when she called to the Goddess of the Moon, the sky was cloudy. We gazed up, and the clouds began to part, and there was the Moon. Coincidence? I thought so. In the ritual I was given an opportunity to do a healing spell, and chose to focus on a friend of mine who was having life threatening medical problems. I forgot about it. Weeks later, I heard that she made a miraculous recovery. The doctors were baffled. Coincidence? The skeptic in me thought so again, but it was strange enough to make me take notice, and I began to ask questions, and to study. Since then, my life has been an unending chain of coincidences where intention and reality intersect, so much so that I no longer believe in coincidence. I believe in magic.

Now my calling in life has become teaching people about magical spirituality. I’m a full time author, teacher and priest in the traditions of magic. I’ve spent the last ten years reaching out to those curious seekers who are like me, skeptics at heart. I try to bridge the gap between the ancient world of magic and how it has survived in our modern culture. Now we use words like positive thinking and creative visualization, but beneath them lies the heart of magic.

You align your intentions with the power of your soul and the life of the universe. Though this alignment of will, spirit and nature, amazing things can happen. It is always the clouds parting or miraculous cures? No. Those cases are pretty special, but you also find the magic in every moment of every day. We speak to the universe, and the universe speaks back to us. This is the essence of magic, and this I believe.