Robert - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Themes: morality

As a child, I believed if you were to trust someone then you were a fool. My parents, being the way they were, raised me to be the best and on the way to the top I was taught to make no friends. I was taught that a friend in need was a pest and that they would only weigh me down. Looking back, I realize that I was the fool to not put trust in others. My education led me down a road of deceit, lies, and thieving. A road that I am highly ashamed of and am trying my best to make up for. Now, trust is an essential value in my life and it is truly what I believe.

Everyone wants to be the best; to be the one who can say that they are better then everyone else yet no one realizes at what cost it comes at. Growing up, I was taught that being number one was all that mattered. That getting to the top was the only goal that I should have no matter how many people I double cross or how many cheap moves I throw in. This was the heart and backbone of my youth and I strived to achieve my one and only goal. As my age grew greater so did my ability and power. None of the people I knew could stare me in both of my dark eyes and put me to shame. Unfortunately, I did this not realizing that the higher you are the harder you fall. That at the top, the only way is down. Eventually, in one day, it all came back to haunt me. In that one day, karma kicked in and I finally began to learn how inferior by skills were to the power of trust. I learned this in my later part of my elementary life when my teacher of my one value died. My mother.

Many people believe that they know what losing a parent feels like and likewise many have felt its damage. To me, my mother was not just a parent. She was my mentor, my guardian, and sadly the only person I had ever known to trust at the time. When she left me I was at an unimaginable loss. I had no one else to seek comfort and guidance in except my father. I tried to acquire new friends yet my previous actions betrayed me and I was left alone everyday. I did not feel superior. I did not feel great and mighty. I felt helpless. I gruelingly lived the rest of my youth out, being the brilliant yet lonely boy I was. I was almost at the last straw when I was sent a life line, a new hope. I was to move to America and I took this as a chance to start again and explore the full potential of trust. America would be a new life. A better life.

As I started a new life in America, the land of opportunities, I was eager to make new friends. Now under full guidance of my father, a far more reasonable person than my mother, I quickly established trust with various people that I soon would know as friends, a brand new concept to me. It was at this time that I fully realized what trust was. Now, a couple years more mature, I continue to live out the rest of my youth as the not-so-brilliant yet not-so-lonely boy and I am loving every bit of it. Sure, I may not have the brilliance I once had but the trust in my friends makes up for it ten fold.

I believe that trust is one of the keys to friendship and ultimately in life. Ask yourself, “Is it really worth it?” the next time you wonder what its like to be the best or just simply want to turn your nose up to a rival and bear that smug grin. If you believe it is then I strongly recommend that you look into a mirror, see who you truly are, and ask yourself the same question again. Trust me; it’s really not worth it.