Gabrielle - Seattle, Washington

I believe in being an individual. I believe in being your own person as an individual, working for what you want, and what you need. I believe in standing up for yourself and your beliefs as an individual, not compromising yourself for someone else. I can love others and receive support from people around me, but still have my own mind. I believe that what you like, what you think is right, how you feel and what you need should be for yourself.

Many of our beliefs form from our environment. I think I get the basis of mine from my mother. When she doesn’t like something, she’s not going to be afraid to say so. And even though I’ll tell her to calm down or shush over something when we’re in public, I respect my mom for speaking up for herself and vocalizing her beliefs. Growing up, she has explained to me that I need to take care of myself. And I have tried to that in my everyday life, whether it is taking care of myself physically, mentally, emotionally, or as I get older, financially. My mom has taught me that following my beliefs can change the world and the way that I live.

I am a 15 year old in high school, and individualism in a society of conformists can be difficult. Even though I do care about how other people see me, I try to make my own happiness my top priority. I am making my own choices, and am working to be a greater person, knowing I can improve my. I am working to be a better person by putting effort into what I do, school work or soccer, and making choices to be healthy, not drinking or smoking like so many teenagers.

Believing in myself as my own person makes me who I am. I believe in the power of one person. I am living a life that is my own, and that is a wonderful thing because no one can take that feeling away from me. Being an individual person means I make my own decisions, and realizing that no one is perfect, I am trying to except myself.