It’s All a Matter of Taste

Katha - San Diego, California

Have you noticed how we consumers are being swayed into buying products by the advertisers? There’s a psychology behind what makes us buy things. I believe that stores and their advertisers are in cahoots to make us hungry enough to buy their stuff!

In my exercise class, there’s a stay-at-home mom who sells athletic clothing. She keeps up with the trends, goes to style shows, has a catalogue, and conducts sales events at her home for a company. The clothing in her catalog looked very nice, but it was a bit too pricy for me. My other rationale was — did I need to look stylish while working out, or impress anyone? The clothing-lady told one of her interested customers about a hot-selling item. She described what she had available, and said that she was out of Chocolate Brown, but it was still available in Merlot. Anyone hearing part of the conversation might have wondered if she was selling brownies, or perhaps something in a bottle. Someone else in the class mentioned how labels on things had become yummy-sounding. They talked about nail polishes, too — with colors that not too many of us knew existed (i.e. Shrimp, Crab, and Lobster). The younger ladies clued me in those names designated various shades of coral. These days, it’s hard to tell if we’re reading something off the menu at a restaurant, or selecting a tantalizing color.

As I shopped yesterday for a few miscellaneous items, I found myself among a myriad of candles. I enjoyed sniffing those delicious flavors, including: Berry Burst, Vanilla, Tropical Shower, Honeysuckle Cream, Warm Apple Pie, Hazelnut Cream, Apricot Mango, Honeydew, Fresh Petals, Sweet Cherries, and Waterfall. Before I knew it, my mind had taken me to: a garden, a tropical forest, my mother’s old honeysuckle trellis, a restaurant, and my own kitchen.

As I showered and dressed this morning, I paid particular attention to the products that I used. My hand soap is Vanilla Sugar & Rice, while my orange glycerin soap is Fresh Melon. My deodorant is Wood Spice. My blush is Rich Berry, and the lipstick that I selected for the day is called Nectarine.

Those advertisers are definitely trying to appeal to our senses, and to our taste buds. They want us to associate a product with a food, so we’ll buy it. What an epiphany! No wonder we often struggle with keeping our weight under control! The subtleties are all around us. Delicious flavors aren’t just for ice creams anymore – or, cookies, or candies, or other calorie-laden temptations.

I just remembered that I need to get a new box of hair dye today. Let’s see, do I usually get Gingerbread Spice? Or, was it the Nutmeg Torte, or the Waffled Walnut? After that errand, I’ll visit my favorite coffee house, and get a Caramel Latte. No, make that a Gingerbread Latte with extra whipped cream. Does that sound good to you?