I Believe In Holding the Door for Others

Matt - Des Moines, Iowa

I believe in holding the door for others. I believe that a person makes his or herself better by doing random acts of kindness. In life, there are many things a person can do to show kindness. Some people go to great lengths, like donating money to charities, or donating time to do volunteer work. No matter how big or small the gesture, I believe it is necessary to perform an act of kindness every day. Have a positive impact on others as much as possible.

I believe in holding the door for others because it is so easy. If someone is walking up to a door after you, take the five seconds to wait for them and hold the door. If you are meeting someone for the first time, and they extend a hand out for a handshake, would you just look at it and walk away? Well, taking notice of someone walking closely behind you and letting the door swing back in their face is just as rude as refusing a hand shake.

I believe in holding the door for others because it shows that another’s time is just as valuable as your own. I think people get so hurried and rushed in their lives that they are unintentionally rude to others. A person who doesn’t offer to hold a door might come off as arrogant or snooty. People have hectic schedules to keep, and will not let them be interrupted for even a five second act of kindness. It is sad to see people so hurried and unaware of people around them.

I remember one day I was running late to class. The doors automatically locked when shut, so I was running across the parking lot to catch the crowd of kids going inside. I was too late, and I watched the door swing shut. Right before it clicked a shoe stuck out the bottom and a girl held the door open for me. Even though I was about twenty seconds from getting in, she still sacrificed her time to make sure I got in. Her random act of kindness and patience saved me from being late to my class.

Holding the door for others practices patience. This point ties back into the subject of my time being no more valuable than another’s. Even if it is an elderly person who averages five steps a minute, it teaches you good tolerance and benefits you in the end.

Finally, I believe in holding the door for others because it’s the right thing to do. It actually makes me feel guilty if I do not offer to take the time to be polite to another person. It is very rare to find someone who doesn’t thank you for holding the door for them. The smile on his or her face shows that they appreciate the small gesture. Holding the door for others teaches people to be polite, it teaches patience and it is helpful to others. Next time you think you are in a rush, look behind you when walking into a building; because maybe the person you are letting the door hit in the face would greatly appreciate you taking the time to wait for them.