veronica - hilmar, California

What is an American?

Dear President Bush,

William J. Clinton once said, “There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America.” What William means is that, yes, America does has its flaws but then, again, so does every other country. America has so many things that other countries simply cannot. I am an American and I’m not trying to say that America is the greatest country and that’s it but I do have the right to defend my country.

Fat, fake and rude are one of the many stereotypes that Americans are classified under. The thing that bothers me the most is that, don’t all countries have those types of people? Why is it that every flaw in an American is pointed out and not others? I’m not trying to say that that’s what should be done but its very hypocritical and its simply isn’t right.

An American is not defined by color or race but a person who is proud to be living in the United States. A person who really feels like this country really is the best place for them. Its that simple. Many people might protest on what I think but the truth of the matter is, I won’t change what I believe in for others.

I feel that a person shouldn’t be defined if there an American based on ethnicity. For instance, on September 11, 2001, many people despised the Indian race after theses terrorist attacks. Many people chose to tell them to go back to their country and that they weren’t Americans. Isn’t America their country as well? America is their country, the place where they chose to build and live their lives. Those judgmental people were just attacking their fellow Americans.

When I say, a person is American if they feel that this country is the best place for them, I mean that that’s how it should be. An American should be prideful and proud to be in the USA. You don’t have to go parade it around but you should feel it. That’s what counts the most.

An American should be prideful and can be any race. Now if all people believed in that, how many conflicts would be solved? Millions.

Veronica Moran